Starting in the mid 60s, Wolfgang Klocker collected works by Max Weiler, Paul Flora and by Tyrolean artist friends, and exhibited them at his car dealership in Innsbruck, which he opened in 1972. Emmy Klocker added to the collection sporadically, and then systematically from 1990 with Austrian and Tyrolean art after 1945, to lay the foundations for a ‘Dr. Wolfgang Klocker Museum’. Further acquisitions were made by Dr. Eckehard Planckh until 2012. The collection now consists of around 1,200 works.
From 2014 the Klocker Foundation Art Prize, which includes purchase, highlights the cutting edge of contemporary art and also raises the profile of the collection within the Tyrolean State Museum Ferdinandeum. The goal is to continue the collection in the context of the present day. The collection has, since the very beginning, brought together the very best examples of contemporary Tyrolean art within an Austrian context. Since the 1960s Tyrolean artists such as Max Weiler, Oswald Oberhuber, Markus Prachensky and Franz Grabmayr have been combined with Günter Brus, Hermann Nitsch and Christian Ludwig Attersee. Not unusually, art by women from this period is not represented in the collection.
The focus of new acquisitions will continue to be Tyrol within an Austrian context. The collection's horizons have however been extended to include international works, sculpture and painting will be interpreted against an expanded context and a better balance of gender representation will be a further goal.